I gathered a list of common Open XML questions related to programmability:
- What are the Open XML File Formats and what can I do with them?
- Can you show me the internal structure of a Word 2007 document?
- What are WordprocessingML, SpreadsheetML, PresentationML, and DrawingML?
- Do you have a .NET API that I can use to generate documents programmatically (server-side)?
- What is the architecture of a server-side OBA document generation solution?
- How can I generate a document programmatically and have more control over document content?
- How do you add images to an Open XML document?
- How can I pull data from my data source and create a table in a document?
- How can I add styles and format to my document content?
- What about compatibility with previous versions of Office?
Office Business Applications + Open XML File Formats
I blogged to show you how to generate a document using a document template, content controls, and XML mapping. I also created a little video and article that shows how to bind custom xml to a document template. This approach is great when you are trying to replace placeholder data in document templates like an invoice or contract. However, your business needs may be different and you may want to have more control over document content and formatting. In that case a better approach would be to manipulate the WordProcessingML content stored in different document parts.
More from the Author…